Custom Splint Fabrication
Our hand therapists specialize in fabricating custom splints in order to achieve multiple goals which include protecting healing structures, promoting or preventing motion, and facilitating the rehab process.
- Customized to fit you!
Who would benefit?
Many injuries or ailments require splinting for a period of time. This includes conservative management as well as post operative care. For some conditions, custom splinting can even substitute or replace a cast due to the durable material, custom fit, and expertise of the hand therapist to create a splint that places you in the best position for healing. Ask your physician if a custom splint would be appropriate and if so come see our Certified Hand Therapist.
Custom splinting for Sports:
- CAO hand therapists work closely with the referring physician to create a custom splint that you can wear and stay in the game. Sports injuries to the upper extremity pose a unique challenge as many times there are regulations dictating what can be worn on the field. Also, the patient most likely will require a unique hand position specific to complete his/her role in the game. The hand therapist will discuss sport specific regulations and positioning with the patient in order to create a splint that will allow them to continue playing. Please bring your glove or any equipment that you will be working with that the splint may need to be fabricated around.
- Unfortunately not all athletes will qualify for a splint and may have to spend some time away from the game to ensure proper healing. This decision is a case by case basis that should be discussed with your physician.
Common diagnoses that may benefit from custom splinting include but not limited to:
- Arthritis in the hand or wrist
- Boutonniere and Swan Neck deformities
- Burn management
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Complex and basic Fractures
- Contracture management
- Congenital anomalies
- Radial dysplasia (pre and post operative)
- Syndactyly (post-operative)
- Dupuytrens post operative care
- Ligament sprains/tears
- Wrist sprains/strains
- Joint replacements
- Mallet Finger
- Nerve Repairs/transfers
- Tendon repairs/transfers
- TFCC tear/repair
- Trigger Thumb, trigger finger